The Film Posters of Josef Fenneker

The painter, graphic artist, production and set designer Josef Fenneker (1895–1956) is one of the most important representatives of artistic film posters of the 1910s and 1920s. He was commissioned primarily by Berlin’s Marmorhaus cinema, which was located on Kurfürstendamm and known for its first releases, as well as by Berlin film production companies. In a great many of his posters Fenneker incorporated influences from Expressionism, Cubism and Futurism, Art Deco, and Jugendstil (Art Nouveau). Lastly, but importantly, this wealth of styles turns the works into impressive documents that have also long been used as illustrations and atmospheric depictions of the Weimar Republic. The collection at the Deutsche Kinemathek houses the world’s only nearly complete inventory of film posters created by Josef Fenneker. Some of the posters (color lithographs), as well as numerous of Fenneker’s original poster designs, are in fragile condition and the originals can no longer be presented to the public in their entirety. Through this online publication the above-mentioned inventory ‒ which is just as important for film studies and art historical research (in particular for advertising history) as it is with regard to Berlin cinema and city history, to an interested public, and to the international professional community ‒ will be made completely available for the first time; fully linked, gentler on the collection, and in an up-to-date format.

Texts on the life and work of Josef Fenneker complete the online publication. In addition to a platform for database searches, a “Gallery" provides an overview of the collection that arranges the objects chronologically. The collection may also be accessed in parallel via the Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek (German Digital Library, DDB). The digitalization and online presentation were funded by the Kulturverwaltung des Landes Berlin (cultural administration of the federal state of Berlin) and supported by the Servicestelle Digitalisierung Berlin (digiS) and the city of Bocholt (copyright holder).

Back to top